All information subject to change. Check back often!
For the ninth year in a row, the RoboJackets will be hosting the 2017 Regional FRC Kickoff at Georgia Tech on January 7th, 2017. Teams are required to register on the FIRST website for the kickoff. The kickoff will consist of breakfast, guest speakers, live broadcasting, robot demos, and workshops. The event will begin with breakfast and team check-in at 8:00 AM in the Clough Atrium. The kickoff presentation will take place in the Ferst Center starting at 9:30 AM and after a lunch break workshops will be hosted in the Klaus Advanced Computing Building.
Please fill out this survey if your team plans to attend the 2017 FRC Kickoff. Additionally, please make sure that you fill out a Georgia Tech waiver for each member of your team. You will need to hand in these waivers at the event registration table.
Please check this page before coming to the event as any updated information will be posted here.
- 8:00 AM – Event opens to teams with breakfast, robot displays, demos, and judges Q&A. (Clough Atrium)
- 9:30 AM – Welcome talks (Ferst Center w/ overflow seating in Clough lecture halls 144 and 152)
- 10:30 AM – Kickoff Broadcast starts (Ferst Center & Clough 144/152)
- 11:00 AM – Field Viewing and Kit of Parts handout; two team members and a mentor to pick up kit (Ferst Center loading dock)
- 12:45 PM – Loading dock closes; end of kit of parts distribution
- 12:45 PM – 1:30 PM Lunch break (lunch not provided)
- 1:30 PM – Workshops begin
- 4:30 PM – Workshops end
Download a printable, non-interactive version of the map here.
Parking for personal vehicles at this year’s kickoff will be in parking deck W02 (parking located between Areas 2 & 3) located on this map. The gates to the parking deck will be open and you may park inside. Alternatively, you may park in paid parking Areas 2 & 3; however, these lots are charged on an hourly basis and the parking inside the W02 deck has been prepaid for teams to use. Buses may park along Ferst Drive or Tech Parkway during the event.
Workshops are vital in creating an easy transition into the start of the FIRST season. One of our primary goals is to have all teams who attend the workshops leave with a KOP robot that will require only some final assembly. We highly encourage teams to attend these helpful workshops to learn and receive guidance. The workshops will be located in the Klaus Advanced Computing Building. Please note that cutting or sawing any components is strictly forbidden.
The following are the five workshop tracks that will be available for teams:
- Mechanical: Building the mechanical parts of the provided KOP.
- Electrical: Assembly of the electronics, wiring guidelines, and a few pointers on past problems.
- Strategy Brainstorm: Teams will be given the opportunity to go over rules and discuss gameplay strategies.
- LabVIEW Programming: A crash course of LabVIEW basics, vision, simple autonomy, and RoboRIO setup/configuration. Laptops will be provided during the workshop with LabVIEW so that groups may follow along. Teams are, however, encouraged to bring their own laptops with last year’s LabVIEW installed. If possible, bring a fully hooked up test board with the 12V battery, RoboRIO and two drive motors. You can also optionally hook up a third separate motor, a camera, or other devices to play around with. The board isn’t required, but will help teams be more interactive.
- Safety: This workshop will discuss the importance of safety leadership and go beyond safety glasses and a Band-Aid. This workshop will be presented by Ean Plunkett.
Here is a list of tools for the mechanical and electrical parts of the Robot Quick Build Session:
- Cordless drill w/
- 3/8″ socket
- 5/16″ socket
- 9/16″ socket
- 5/32″ Ball End Hex Bit
- alternatively, bring the equivalent hand tools
- 1/2″ Combination wrench
- Tape measure
- Marking pencil/pen/marker
- Flathead and Phillips screwdrivers
- Wire strippers
- Wire cutters
- Wire crimpers – a good set with handles at least 7” long
- Phillips screwdriver ( #2)
- Flat Screwdriver
- Wago flat screwdriver (supplied in FIRST kit)
- 3/8” combination wrench
- 10mm combination wrench
- Tape measure
- 7/16” combination wrench
If you have any questions, please contact Sarah Storer at firstname.lastname@example.org.